Sunday, July 17, 2011

Awesome Jobs?

Like the days of the week, I spend considerable amounts of time during the week thinking about a job that I would rather be doing than practicing law. I have a bad habit of believing that every other job out there is less stressful than mine. I am trying to learn that stress is probably more about the way I handle stressful situations then it is about how stressful the job is itself, right?! I often try to remind myself that although it looks like the person performing that job has a great life, I do not know the details of that job and it could be as stressful as mine.

Here are some jobs I often find myself getting super jealous over:

Lawn Mowers. No, not the machines. The people. Think Perfect Cut, A+ Lawn Care. How awesome would it be to sit on a mower, put your headphones on, and drive around all day in the sun?  When I find myself getting jealous of this job I remember that it has been rainy this year. Are they earning less money? Are they really busy on the few sunny days that we had in June? Is there a lot of competition out there for lawn mowing companies?

Barista. I haven't been as jealous lately because I have drastically reduced my trips to Starbucks (and increased the money in my bank account). Those jobs seem pretty great. And I hear that Starbucks offers health insurance and other benefits (almost makes the $4 cup of coffee worth it). Here are some things that are maybe stressful for Baristas: Hours!! I am not a morning person. I can get up by 7 am, but not a minute before then. Baristas probably have to get up around 4am. Job growth would probably be another downfall of the job. What do you do after you have mastered all the drinks? How do those skills apply to the job market? Also, who wants to deal with people before they have had their first cup of coffee?

Counselor. Yes, I have since learned that my business card says Attorney and Counselor at Law. And many days all I do is counsel. Its not great. I was a fool for ever thinking that would be a fun career choice. I had previously focused on the fun part of listening to people and working with them to solve problems. The problem is, those people just suck the life out of you!

Stay At Home Mom. You knew this one was coming. The thought of having time at home to actually not just get the laundry washed, but actually fold it. Not make dinner from a box but from scratch. To not have the stress from your job going through your mind rather than focusing on time with your family. I have since learned that these jobs are not as glamorous as I once thought. Some stressful things I have learned about this job is the financial sacrifices of a one income earning family. Also, the feeling like you never get a break because you are working/being with your kids 24/7. (Although the summers at the pool, mid-afternoon naps and folded laundry still seem pretty fantastic!)

For now, I will keep practicing law. Because like I always tell my friend Andrea who is in her last year of medical school... My clients may lose their money, kids or freedom, but at least when they leave my office they are still alive!

What jobs do you think seem dreamy?

No comments:

Post a Comment