Sunday, August 30, 2015

The Five Minute Rule

Lately I've been feeling incredibly inefficient. Between Bravo having some especially good seasons of The Real Housewives and summer laziness... I just haven't gotten a thing done.

As I was sitting on the couch the other day (watching Bravo Tv) thinking about how I should get laundry, cleaning, work, shopping done I remembered an incredibly brilliant rule a friend had told me about several years ago. The Five Minute Rule. Here it is in a nutshell- if the task that needs to be done can be done in less than five minutes- do it now.

I have been employing this rule lately, and I am amazed at how many tasks can get done in less than five minutes each. And honestly, once you get a few tasks done in a few minutes one of two things happens: 1) you feel so motivated at how much you have already gotten done and forge through the remainder of your to do list; or 2) feel so accomplished that you quit your to do list and enjoy the rest of your afternoon and evening guilt-free! Win-win either way.

As for the tasks that take more than 5 minutes. Well, those are a struggle. Currently I'm removing them from my to do list and placing them on my husband's. The tasks still aren't getting done, but they are off my list.


No comments:

Post a Comment