Tuesday, July 5, 2011

WalMart

This may come as a surprise to you, but I like Wal Mart. This is not something I'm totally comfortable with. In fact, I waited a few days to decide whether I would really admit to this. I hear people complain all the time about Wal Mart. I want to dislike it, but I can't! It's fantastic. When Tommy and I lived in West Des Moines we could go to Wal Mart every week. Now that we have to travel more than point five miles we do not get there as often. In fact, most of our shopping takes place at Dahl's or HyVee since it is so near our house. I hate that fact. I know I am spending too much money when I shop those stores, but they are so convenient that I end up going there against my better judgment.

Tommy and I went to Wal Mart for the first time in a few months on Sunday. Here is a rundown of what I got for $125:

1. 3 bottles of lotion;
2. Toothpaste;
3. Bug Spray;
4. Sun Screen;
5. Hair ties;
6. Nokia Phone;
7. 60 day supply of vitamins;
8. 10 pack of Viva paper towels;
9. a dozen ears of corn;
10. baby carrots;
11. 8 jars of spaghetti sauce;
12. 2 boxes of cereal;
13. bag of Doritos;
14. vinegar;
15. Canola oil;
16. 1/2 gallon of organic milk;
17. 1/2 gallon of limeade;
18. 8 hot dog buns;
19. those yummy frosted sugar cookies;
20. 2 lbs of bananas;
21. chip dip;
22. And a few miscellaneous items I cannot decipher from my receipt  (total items sold: 39).

If you aren't impressed yet, consider this: when you take away the nokia phone, vitamins, and paper towels, my bill would have only been $60. I can never escape HyVee for less than $50 and that is just filling up a shopping basket not a shopping cart.

The main reason why I even went to Wal Mart is because they have my favorite spaghetti sauce (hence why I bought 8 jars of it) for $2.50 each. This same sauce is $4.99 a jar at HyVee.

I'll admit that I do not buy meat and limit the produce I purchase at Wal Mart. And maybe its because I am shopping the West Des Moines Wal Mart that is only a few years old, but I do not find it dirty. I do not find the shoppers any more or less dirty than the ones I run into at any other store. I dont find the help any more or less competent than any other store. I truly save so much money when I shop there. I'm not too good for WalMart, are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment