Saturday, August 20, 2011

Happy Birthday Grandma Vos!!

Wow! I really haven't blogged since August 9?

On August 13 we had the pleasure of celebrating my Grandma's 90th Birthday! I think what made the celebration so special was the fact that all of her children, 15/16 grandchildren (including all spouses and kids) made it to the celebration. We had a wonderful celebration.






As we drove back to Des Moines that night, I had several things on my mind. I couldn't help but notice the complete joy beaming from my Grandma the entire day. You could see the happiness in her eyes to have her family around and to celebrate. There was so much happiness in the room that you forgot how difficult many of those years were for her. Let me provide some examples:

1. My Grandma was born in 1921. By the time of the Great Depression my Grandma's family had lost their farm and were literally broke.

2. My Grandma's father was completely blind by the time that my Grandma entered grade school. My Grandma's older siblings quit grade school so they could work on the farm to support the family. My Grandma was the first child in her family to complete 8th grade. My Grandma did not go to school past 8th grade.

3. My Grandma lost her second son when he was three years old in an accident on the farm. Her son literally died in her arms.

4. In 1971 my Grandpa was in a farming accident and was paralyzed from the was the waste down until he passed away in 1994.

As we drove home that night I wonder would I feel as blessed as my Grandma feels if this were my life? Would I still have the faith in God my Grandma has if these were my life experiences? Would I have the strength to survive these life events?

During the party most of the children and grandchild shared stories about my Grandma with each other. The most surprising stories involved my Grandma's tendencies to take off her shirt. Yes, you read that right. I think the other favorite story was hearing how my Grandma worked one summer cracking eggs at Oskaloosa produce to save $350 so the family could take a vacation to Yellowstone National Park. All the children agreed that it was one of the best memories of their childhood.

To me, its amazing that people with this work ethic, faith and determination even exist. And its a complete blessing that she is my Grandma.

Happy 90th Birthday, Grandma!

No comments:

Post a Comment