Saturday, May 14, 2011

Fun and Farmer's Market

I turned my air off on Thursday and turned my Furnace on this morning. This weather has been quite unpredictable but has allowed for some great summer traditions to be celebrated early.

This week we took the boat out for the first time. I worked and worked and worked so hard all day long to sneak out of the office a bit early to enjoy the 80+ degree weather. Tommy surprised me by taking work off a bit early too (which is so unlike him) to join us on the boat. Unfortunately Erin was sick so she was unable to join us, but we did take Tony out on the boat. He was insistent that we either go fast or have the boat stopped completely.



This morning Tommy and I braved this incredibly chilly mid-May weather to head out to the Farmer's Market in Des Moines. Tommy generally works on Saturday morning, so we did not want to miss this opportunity to go even if the weather was not ideal.

The Takekawa's Farmer's Market experience is probably different than most families. Instead of going to find fresh produce or flowers, we generally go to find different foods to eat for breakfast and lunch for that day. We were pleasantly surprised by some new vendors that did not disappoint. Here was how we spent our $20.00:

$7.00: Beef Brisket Sandwich from Uncle Wendell's;
$4.00: Bosnian Cabbage Roll;
$3.00: Mexican Corn on a Stick;
$3.00: Charizo Taco; and
$3.00: Bavarian Cream Pastry.

This was the third time we had the Mexican corn. The first time I had it was with Tommy in Mexico City back in  2005. I was reluctant to try back in 2005 but had a few bites of Tommy's corn and was pleasantly surprised by the taste. The second time was in 2010 when Tommy and I traveled to Cozumel Island in Mexico. It was not as good as in Mexico City. I was not very optimistic this morning given that it was a Mexican dish and we were in the middle of Iowa; but I must tell you- it was very good. Now if only I could find the caramel filled Churros that we also had in Mexico City in 2005.




No comments:

Post a Comment