Saturday, September 3, 2011

I Love You, Fall!

Before I dig too deep into this post, I want to take a moment to explain to you why Fall started on September 1. I do not follow the solstice/equinox calendar. I could care less about the tilt of the Earth and the position of the Sun. Rather, to me, seasons always begin of the first day of a month, seasons are not equal in length, and seasons have more to do with what is going on in my world. For example, kids do not go to school in the summer. Therefore, Summer runs from June 1 to August 31. Fall runs from September 1 to October 31, Winter runs from November 1 to February 28 and Spring runs from March 1 to May 31. This makes sense, right? According to my calendar, Winter runs an extra month compared to the other seasons and Fall is the shortest, which is maybe why I love it so much.

Much like the days of the week, I spend considerable amounts of time thinking about what season I like the most and why. This is my ranking:

1. Fall
2. Summer
3. Spring
...
...
...
...
...
4. Winter.

In fairness to Winter, I really don't mind it from November 1 to December 31, but once the Christmas lights have been taken down, the family all return to their respective homes, I've watched Christmas Vacations three times, and have gotten a few days off of work because of the snow, I'm ready for Spring. January to March drags, which is why I'm particularly happy that my child will be born in the beginning of February. Maybe the rest of winter wont seem so awful if I have time off of work, don't have to shovel the driveway (sorry, Tommy!) and get to spend lots of time with my babe. Time will tell...

But for now, here is how I have gotten ready for Fall!!


You may notice this is not my new Fall Harvest Candle I picked up a few weeks ago at the mall. I am super excited to open that candle, but I decided to burn the rest of this Apple Orchid Candle because it smells good. Also, my Fall Harvest Candle I anticipate using into my Winter season.


I jazzed my candle up a bit by putting him in this Pumpkin decoration. It looks super cute at night when the lights are dimmed.


I went to Costco and stocked up on the Halloween candy. Ironically, since my pregnancy I have had NO cravings for sweets which is usually my downfall. This may be the first year that my candy actually lasts until Halloween. (Tommy doesn't care much for sweets either).


Here is a can of the organic pumpkin I have been campaigning for over the last month. I am having some family over for Labor Day and will treat them to some yummy pumpkin bars!


Now how cute is this guy? I picked him up last year at TJ Maxx and since then have been trying to find ten more to send to my friends because I love him so much. I placed him on the kitchen counter near the sink. I'm hoping this will motivate me to do my dishes more so I can look at this little cutie while I wash them. 

There is still a few things to be done. I felt comfortable putting out some of my Halloween decorations, but I have held off on the Halloween kitchen towels for now. I like them, but I don't love them like these other decorations, so I'll probably wait until after my party tomorrow to avoid judgments from my family. :-)

Also, I always buy a pumpkin and mum to put in front of the house. Here is the picture from last year. Tommy and I were at Costco earlier and were going to buy the mum, but we are going to hold out for purple or red mums as they only had yellow and orange today.
On a sad note, the coming of Fall does mean the soon closure of the swimming pool. It has a heater, but we do not use the pool enough to justify heating it full time. However, I do love waking up and looking at the nice view from my bedroom window in the morning. Sometime mornings while I wait for Tommy to get out of the shower, I pretend I'm at a resort and can relax all day. Sure the dreaming only lasts 5 minutes and its not very practical, but its much cheaper than prescription medication!



No comments:

Post a Comment