Thursday, September 1, 2011

Thankful Thursday

I am thankful that it is now September. I have nothing against August. In fact, I heart August, but there is nothing like sleeping with your windows open at night and waking up to the cool fresh breeze! A few weeks ago I couldn't wait until September 1 because that is when I had granted myself permission to put out the fall decorations and fall candle scents. You'll be happy to know that I was too tired to go get them this evening so it will actually probably not happen until after Labor Day which may be more appropriate anyway!

I am also thankful this week for lotto tickets. I have a slight addiction to these scratch off lotto tickets. It all started when my hubby came home from work yesterday and declared we should start playing scratch games. This was quite surprising coming from my husband. If you have ever met him you know he wouldn't waste a dime (one of many reasons I love him). Tommy said that he sees people come into the bank constantly having won thousands of dollars on scratch tickets. After Tommy mentioned this we watched Flipping Out on Bravo. Jeff, the main character on the show, was playing scratch games, and it looked fun.

Fast forward to this morning while I was getting gas at the convenience store. I mosied my way into the store causually glancing at the scratch tickets on the counter as if I purchased them everyday. As the clerk approached, I suddenly I felt overwhelmed seeing that I had the option from over 13 games and that the cheapest game appeared to be $2. I was only prepared to spend $1. I had the money and decided to still splurge on the scratch ticket, but did not know which one to choose. I asked the clerk which game was most popular so i could fit in with the rest of the scratch playing crowd. The clerk helped me purchase my ticket and I drove the 15 miunutes to my office dreaming of the things I could buy with the money I was about to win. I cooly walked into the office and closed my office door like the true addict I was about to become. I read and read the directions forgetting that these games were designed for people with second grade educations. My game did not go well. But I was pleasantly surprised that the game took me approximately 5 minutes to play.

All day I couldn't get the thrill of my first scratch ticket out of my mind. When I got home from work to share my excitement with Tommy, we went to pick out some more tickets. Alas, some winners! (Note to my non-scratch game player friends: If you use the machine, it does not provide change and you are forced to purchase the entire amount of money that you inserted in the machine. Praise Jesus it was only a $10.) This time I couldn't contain my excitement. I was thrilled. We drove the two minutes back home and I ran inside to find some change and start scratching. We had spent $10 and won $5. I'm not proud of these odds, but the thrill while playing the game, the dreaming of what to do if you win the money, it was worth the $5.

I am glad I waited over 28 years to play my first game. I cant imagine how much money I would have thrown down the tubes by now. I hope that after I throw a few more bucks down the drain with no return that I will lose the thrill and return to my dutch ways. In the meantime, if you have never bought a scratch off ticket, I highly recommend it.


No comments:

Post a Comment