Thursday, June 16, 2011

Thankful Thursday

Its Thursday again. For your faithful blog readers, you know that this means two things. One, the start of my five favorite days in a row; and two, time to blog about something I am thankful for.

This week I am thankful for my dad. No, he didn't do anything extra special this week to make me more thankful for him. He is just a rocking dad. Let me count the ways:

1. Caring.  Some people do not know under the intense outward demeanor of my dad lies a very caring and emotional person. When he is leaving my house after swimming in the afternoon he makes sure to warn me to get out of the pool since there are no people left at the house to be my swimming buddy. When I haven't seen him for a few days he hugs me like it has been years. And when his family is around, you can truly see the comfort and happiness in his demeanor. He loves his family.

2. Intense. My dad's intensity did annoy quite a bit when I was a minor, but now his intensity is a pleasure to see. The intensity really comes out when he talks about politics or his world views. Let me provide an example:

Dawn: "Dad, what do you think about the war?"
Dad: "I think we should nuke them until they glow and fight them at night."

3. Funny. My dad says the funniest things. Some of my favorite quotes:

"Even a broken clock is right twice a day."
"If  'ifs' and 'buts' were candy and nuts oh what a wonderful Christmas we would have"
"If she fell into a pond they would be skimming ugly off it for weeks."

Unfortunately the best quotes come out randomly and I cannot think of a lot of them right now- but trust me, he is funny!

4. Handy. My dad is handy. I have especially come to appreciate this when fixing things at my house. He is an electrician, plumber, mechanic, carpenter, and pool boy. He is so handy that every time Anthony, my nephew, is at my house and sees a new light fixture or change he says "Look! Grandpa fixed it!" In fact, Anthony was so impressed with the ceiling fans being fixed that he still yells it out like he is seeing it fixed for the first time. If Anthony is at my house and sees even a light bulb burnt out he politely says "Grandpa needs to fix it."

I hope you all take time this weekend to honor your dads!

1 comment: