Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Disability Insurance

Today Tommy and I met with a gentlemen regarding obtaining some life insurance and disability insurance. Shockingly, one of my benefits from working at a law firm does not include disability and or life insurance. Tommy and I really started thinking about life insurance when I was pregnant with Emi. Of course, at that time, I was unable to obtain any insurance. Tommy already has a decent life and long term disability plan through Wells.

Today while the gentlemen was explaining the disability insurance he told me I would disabled once a doctor determined I could no longer be an attorney.

A few hours later I got into the office. I had spent the morning at home and within ten minutes of getting into the office I already regretted that. A few things had come up that I wasn't there to deal with causing other people to get involved in it which is always annoying. This was followed by an extra annoying conversation with my boss and an email from a former client informing me of some incredibly serious legal troubles involving her daughter. I like this client, a lot, so I felt particularly upset to hear this news. (Even though I get paid to deal with my client's legal problems, it doesn't mean I like when my client's have legal problems. It's quite the opposite.)

That is when I sat down at my desk and as some tears formed in my eyes I thought "I can't do this anymore."

I'm thinking this is not what the gentlemen had in mind when explaining how to qualify for the disability insurance or surely it'd cost more than $60 a month.




No comments:

Post a Comment