Sunday, October 14, 2012

Is That Really Necessary?

Can you believe the things that we lived without ten to twenty years ago that you cannot imagine your life without now? Examples?

Target! (Remember when the only one in Des Moines was in North Des Moines and you had to pack heat just to shop there?) Now you can't drive more than ten miles without running into one in Des Moines, and the neighborhoods are much safer.

High Speed Internet. Proudly the Van Wyks were one of the last to switch over from dial up to high speed. Seriously, I think it was only like 10 years ago when they finally got highspeed.

GPS. Perhaps they used to build streets straight and logically and with the invention of amateur develops came the need for GPS. Even though we don't use ours everyday, I cant imagine going on a roadtrip without it. I seriously have no idea how people use to get places. Perhaps gas attendants were more knowledgeable back then.

I could go on.... smartphones, redbox, facebook...

Although we had heard of these things, the popularity was not there like it is today. Now we can't even imagine our lives without it.

Here are the things that although some people have, and most of us have heard of such a thing, will be a necessity in 10 years.

Ipad. I know Ipads are so popular right now. But I think they will be mandatory. I think they'll run our houses (thermostats, home security systems, steros, etc) and I think we'll look back and think "Remember when we had to worry whether we shut our garage door? Now we can just close it on our Ipad." And that will be normal).

Smartphone Banking. Could it be that it wont be that we even need to go to the bank? Somehow we'll figure out a way to deposit checks (for those of us who have bosses that still cut paper checks) on our phones. I think this exists already, but I know little about it.

Double Wash Machine Set. I remember before I had Emi people would tell me that having a kid doubles the laundry. I just thought those people were dumb and inefficient. I love having a high efficiency washer and dryer, but seriously, I can't have each load wash for over an hour when I've got nearly ten loads to do (Whites, Darks, Towels, Reds, Emi's Clothes, bedsheets, Emi's every day blankets and highchair/shopping cart cover, delicate sweaters, and regular blankets).
I cant even believe I live in a house that only has one wash machine. And a year ago I would not have dreamed of saying that....

What do you think is going to go from luxury to mandatory in the next ten years?

No comments:

Post a Comment