Sunday, October 23, 2011

Black Friday?!

Note from Author: I had a really bad shitty week. It was busy. It was stressful. It did not go the way I wanted. I hope next week is better. I could go on and on and on about how shitty it was, but I'm moving forward.

If you have read at least three of my blog posts, you know I love a deal. We are approaching my favorite time of year as it relates to bargain shopping. Tommy and I study ads very carefully this year. In November we usually make all our large purchases for the year. The Reason: Black Friday and all the "Pre Black Friday" ads that go with it. Its become sort of an art for us. We study different black friday ads. We read the websites that speculate about the different sales. And we keep up with the evolution of the Black Friday experience.

It used to be you could go get your deal at 4am at the store. Then it shifted to being able to order your product at midnight on Friday. Then it shifted to being able to order your product online on Thursday at midnight. Now even several weeks before your items go on sale for the same as or even better prices than Black Friday.

Our purchases over the year have included:

2008: a new 40 inch Sony TV from American TV that we got for $549 (regularly $899). Side note: we were not aware of the Black Friday evolution that year and ended up purchasing this product on my blackberry outside the store at 345am when we saw we were not going to get the product inside. It was geneous. We walked right in, did instore pick up, and got just the tv we wanted.

2009: Thanksgiving Morning before boarding a plan to Houston we purchased two computers online. One Sony laptop from Bestbuy for $399 (regularly $699) and one from Sam's Club for $399 (regularly $799). We got one for my parents and one for us. I think Tommy also got another one from Best Buy that year for his mom. As it turns out, our computer has been kind of a piece of junk- but my parents and Tommy's parents have LOVED there laptops! So I think it was just the particular machine we got. Or the way we treat it. This year Tommy's parents also got us a camcorder which they got a great deal on at Best Buy. I think it was around $300 off. I think they were hinting already that they were ready for grandkids!

2010: A few weeks before Black Friday we picked up our front loading Samsung Washer and Dryer from Sears. This bad boy combination we got 50% off of both the washer and dryer. It was like 2 for 1. I haven't seen a deal on these nice of machines for quite a while. Luckily for my hubby's research skills we didn't miss out on that purchase!

Here I have only noted our major purchases. Of course we still go shop on the Friday morning with all the crazies. We do not find as good of deals as we used to, but its a good time to pick up dvds, headphones, clothes, and different fun items.

For 2011, we have BIG plans. We have lots of things that we need to buy. Tommy and I are going to have to research hard over the next week to narrow our purchases. I'm going to have to prepare myself for the large amount of money we will be spending in November. We have been wanting these items over the last year, and some items we have really held off a long time to get. Here is our list so far:

1. Camera
2. Computer
3. Snowblower

I usually like to limit it to one "big" purchase a year, but this year we need to get at least these three items above (which I consider all "big" items). Also, we are bound to probably pick up items for Baby T. This is going to be a new adventure for us as we travel into this unknown territory. Hopefully some of these baby stores run good sales because some of this baby stuff is expensive! Any tips?

Also, did I mention that Tommy and I finally purchased our baby furniture?! Of course we bought it from Nebraska Furniture Mart. It probably will not be delivered until December or January. But before it comes we still have to order new carpet for our upstairs! We also picked up the bedding and decor from pottery barn kids. Once the nursery starts coming together then I will post some pics!

No comments:

Post a Comment