Thursday, May 17, 2012

Thankful Thursday...

I opened up my computer and saw my girlfriend, Laura's, post that said "Thankful Thursday." I initially thought "Oh, Laura. She is all sorts of whacked on her schedule with that three week old baby of hers." Then I sat there. And I counted. And I yelled out to the nearest coworker "Is it Thursday?" I don't think I ever got an answer- and I am thankful for that.

I am thankful that my girlfriend, Kimber, is at the hospital right now living hell experiencing the miracle that is child birth. I am also thankful that she doesn't mind when I tell everybody that she is having a boy and naming him Alexander or Amari (Ari, for short, of course). For the record, Kimber does not know what she is having. And if it is a boy, she assures me that while Alexander is a great name, that is not the name of her child.

I am thankful that my girlfriend, Andrea, and I got to have coffee together this morning. I'm also thankful that Emi still knows who her mama is. Sometimes I feel a little slighted by her when she doesn't care whose arms she is in and is happy to be passed around. I cherish the moments that she insists to be held by me because they are few and far between. And this morning, she had one of those moments.

I am thankful that I picked up Andy Cohen's new book and have actually read the first two chapters already.

On another note, tomorrow is Emi's first day at daycare (Sherry's house). I am thankful that I have found a wonderful person to watch her. I didn't know exactly how I would feel about this day. Monday was supposed to her first day of daycare, but because of a little slip and fall injury by my father and a trip to Mason City Hospital, my mom and dad will not be home tomorrow to hang with Emi and my work schedule will not permit for me to have her with me tomorrow. Luckily Sherry will be watching her tomorrow for me. (For the record- my mom says the fall was not that bad and that Mason City hospital is hard for money so they are holding him overnight. And for my attorney friends- the fall was his fault so keep churning the other work.) Today while I was at work with Emi who was tired and just wanted to be held by me, I was frustrated. I wasn't being a good mom to her, and I couldn't get enough work done. I was wishing I did have her at daycare because what was the point of half ass taking care of her and half ass doing work? Now, as I packed up everything for her to take to Sherry's, and wrote about everything there is to know about my little girl, I am nearly in tears thinking about taking her to daycare. I know she will have fun. I know she will love it far more than the days at mama's office. But I do not think Sherry would be appreciative of all the phone calls I would give my mom checking up on Emi. I'm just going to miss her- a lot, but I am confident she will be a much happier child being at Sherry's than being with me while I work, right?

Happy Thursday, everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment