Wednesday, May 16, 2012

What a Difference a Day Makes!

Er, three days make!

The worship leader at church on Sunday morning lifted a prayer to the Lord that went something like this... "Jesus, thank you for accepting us for who we are. We know we aren't the perfect housekeepers, or not the most perfect parents, but we come to you..." Quite frankly, I stopped listening after that. I thought well my house is actually very clean right now. And my child, well she is more than perfect and she is laying on my shoulder smiling at the entire congregation behind her. And having the perfect child would make me, well, the most perfect parent, right?  And on top of that, I was the perfect employee because I had already put in three hours at work that day (did I mention I was at the early service?!) Oh, and I was also the perfect daughter because not only had I worked 3 hours, but I also stopped by the store and picked up flowers and a card for my mom and was taking her out to brunch.  Oh, and Tommy and I already had plans to go to WalMart to by lots of groceries so there would be plenty of food to eat next week. Now, please don't get me wrong. I am not saying I am not need of God's forgiveness and acceptance and love.

I got home from work today at approximately 630pm. Even though I had worked 3 fulls days already this week, I was already behind. Oh, and did I mention that my daughter was in her third outfit since 2pm? Then as I walked through the door I noticed that my kitchen floor could easily been mistaken for Emi's sandbox, it was that dirty. She was hungry, and there was no clean bottle in sight despite the fact that we probably have ten thousand of them. Oh, and my husband, well, he had picked up chinese because not only was I not cooking dinner (again) but in my trip to Walmart on Sunday, I had failed to really pick up anything (despite the fact I spent over $100).

So as I did two loads of laundry, mopped the floor, washed the bottles, boxed up the leftover chinese so I could serve it tomorrow, and finished the work I had brought home I thought about the prayer from Sunday. How in three days could that much have changed? So I prayed and it went something like this... "Jesus, thank you for accepting me for who I am. I am not the most perfect housekeeper or employee (yes, I'm pretty sure some of my work did not get done due to some celebriy gossip reading and a little ineffective multitasking with Emi at the office) or cook or wife. And thank you, Jesus, for trusting me with the most beautiful and perfect child in the whole world. Amen"

No comments:

Post a Comment