Thursday, March 8, 2012

Thankful Thursday... You Know What I Mean...

I'm thankful for the road trip that I took today to see my Grandma. My Grandma lives in an assisted living community in Oskaloosa. My dad's parents recently moved into the same community so its nice that we can see all of them with little effort.

While visiting with my Grandma she told us about a new neighbor that has moved into the community. For the sake of this conversation we will call the neighbor Esther Minnie. Minnie has decided that Grandma is her "best friend." Unfortunately, my Grandma doesn't agree. She compares Minnie to a tick. And my Grandma, who at 90 years old remembers very few things, does remember that Minnie has a terrible habit of finishing every sentence with "you know what I mean?" This resulted in my Grandma and I ending every sentence for the rest of the day with "you know what I mean?" And as it turns out, nearly all sentences can have "you know what I mean" added to the end of it. You know what I mean? It was hilarious!

Emi was able to meet her Great Grandma and Grandpa Van Wyk which was a lot of fun. Grandma Van Wyk enjoyed showing Emi off to all her friends in the lunch room. I didn't think that Emi would be the most popular girl in the lunch room at such a young age. I was also thankful that when one of my Grandma's friends said "I have a grandchild just as cute as her" my Grandma quickly responded "I doubt it!" God, I love old people!

Here is Emi visiting with Grandma and Grandpa Van Wyk.




Emi is not looking at the camera in these photos because she is making sure that Grandma Van Wyk keeps a safe distance away from her. She loved loved loved sitting on Grandpa Van Wyk's lap, but was not as content with Grandma Van Wyk. She will have to talk to her second cousin, Riley, about this problem.

I'm also thankful that Emi passed her first "IQ" test today. As my Grandpa was holding Emi he was tickeling her toe was caused her to scruntch her toes together. My Grandpa says "See how she moves her toes like that? That's a sign of a bright child." Now I thought a sign of a bright child would have been one that kicked him after being tickeled so that he stopped but apparently not. I'm thankful for my smart ass wise family members. My Grandpa Van Wyk was telling me a story about how somebody asked him "When do you know you have enough?" My Grandpa responded "When you have just a little bit more."

I'm always thankful for my mom, but especially the role she plays as Emi's Grandma. The other day my mom called me to tell me what the weather was like and how I was to dress Emi for the day. I'd like to think I was bright enough to know how to dress her (my toes also scruntch together when somebody tickles me) but I know my mom is just calling to tell me that because she loves Emi so much. I'm also thankful that I have a sister to bond with over these experiences. After I hung up the phone with my mom I had the following text conversation with my sister:

Me: "Does Mom ever call you to tell you how to dress you child for the day?"
Erin: "Not anymore. She just changes him once he gets to her house. We are still waiting for his skull t-shirt to be returned to us. Oh, and just so you know, mom is going to be all over Emi's socks. Socks are a big deal for mom."
Me: "Yah, she already took me shopping for socks for Emi last Sunday."

Lastly, I'm thankful for my cute daughter. Everytime Anthony sees Emi now he exclaims "Oh, she's so cute!" I pulled up my blog the other day to make sure my mom saw the cute one month picture of Emi. I said "Isn't Emi SOO cute in this picture?" My mom said "People are going to get so sick of you talking about how cute you think your kid is on your blog." Tommy chimes in "Oh, I don't think so." My dad then enters the room not knowing what we were talking about... "Emi looks just SOO cute in that one month photo on your blog!" Cue mom rolling her eyes. I reply "Mom thinks I talk about how cute Emi is way too much on the blog." My dad responds "Hey, then they don't have to read it!"


Happy Thursday, everybody! You know what I mean?




1 comment:

  1. Ok, So I can't wait to meet Grandma's new friend. I am heading down on Saturday. That will be a real treat! I agree with your Dad, I can choose not to read your blog! Sorry Aunt P. I am will Uncle Rod on this one.

    ReplyDelete