Saturday, April 28, 2012

Dr. Seuss

One of my absolute favorite things to do in a day in life is to read a book or two to Emi before bedtime. Emi and I have this little bedtime routine. Dad give her the last bottle around 830pm. I change her diaper and change her into her jammies. We sit down in the rocking chair in her room with the lamp on, pacifier in mouth, and I read her a book or two (and occasionally dad will join us too- I think he enjoys the books also!). I LOVE LOVE LOVE this part of my day. The Dr. Seuss books are perfect! They are the perfect length because usually by the end Emi is snoring her head off and doesn't even wake up when I lay her in her crib.

As of yesterday we only had two Dr. Seuss books (Cat in the Hat and Green Eggs and Ham). I went to TJ tonight and picked up One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish, There's No Place Like Space, The Lorax, and The Places You'll Go. I was somewhat surprised when I was reading that there are basically two categories of books. There are the Beginner Books (Green Eggs, Cat, Fish and Space fall into this category) and the Advanced Books (Lorax, Places). Who knew that at age 28 29, I could still tell the difference between Beginner and Advanced books!? That Dr. Seuss sure likes to make up a lot of words. Good thing Emi doesn't know yet when I mess up the words in the advanced books. And hopefully by the time she notices I will have mastered the crazy Dr. Seuss words!

If I didn't know better, I would think that these books are based on my life story. For example, in The Cat and the Hat, the Cat is attempting to do everything at the same time.

"Look at me! Look at me! Look at me NOW!
It is fun to have fun But you have to know how.
I can hold up the cup And the milk and the cake!
I can hold up these books! And the fish on a rake!
I can hold the toy ship And a little toy man!
And look! With my tail I can hold a red fan!
I can fan with the fan As I hop on the ball!
But that is not all. Oh, no. That is not all...”

Sometimes I feel like I try to do too much at once and then it all comes crashing down. But my favorite part about this book is at the end when Jack asks the reader if they would tell their mom what they had been up to all day with the Cat in the Hat at the house without Mom's approval. I always then pose the question to Emi and say "Emi, you would tell Mommy, wouldn't you?" Emi is always snoring by this time and never answers. But I always ask.

Yes, I even think Green Eggs and Ham is based on my life as well. In the book, Sam is a "relentless crusader" who asks everybody to try Green Eggs and Ham. In the book, Sam's roommate says:

I could not, would not, on a boat.
I will not, will not, with a goat.
I will not eat them in the rain.
I will not eat them on a train.
Not in the dark! Not in a tree!
Not in a car! You let me be!
I do not like them in a box.
I do not like them with a fox.
I will not eat them in a house.
I do not like them with a mouse.
I do not like them here or there.
I do not like them ANYWHERE!

Sam is like my clients. They ask me a question. A question with a very easy answer. I give them the answer. Then my client asks me the same question about but changes one irrelevant factor and asks again. And again. And again. Continually changing very unimportant facts in hopes that I will change my answer.

I'm excited to read these new books to Emi! I hope she enjoys them as much as I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment