Thursday, February 9, 2012

Thankful Thursday

I'm thankful that our first outing went well! I was a bit nervous getting Emi for her first day out. Mostly I am just nervous about when to feed her and where we will be when she wants to eat. Since I now live my life in three hour intervals I love the moment she is done feeding because I start the clock at three hours and know I have time to get stuff done. I was a bit frustrated when Emi was done eating at 745am as I wanted a bit more time for my three hours as her doctor appointment was at 1020. Turns out, Emi knows best.

Wow- does it take a lot to get out the door with a baby. We managed to make it to my office by 915 to show her off to all my coworkers. In typical Emi fashion so was peaceful and perfect the entire time. I was also able to get a few things done for work which was nice to cross off my "to do" list.

After we left my office we got Emi to the doctor. Tommy and I were so impressed with the Doctor that saw Emi a few times after she was born that we are considering seeing him rather than the Pediatrician we had picked out. We are somewhat hesitant because his office is in Waukee and that just seems silly, but after our experience today in the Ankeny office I think we will be going to the other doctor. Sometimes I think I must be really hard to please, but I dont think that was the case today. First, we didn't actually see the doctor, which was fine; however, it was not fine that every question we had for the nurse (which I imagine are typical questions for first time parents) she seemed beyond clueless. Here is an example:

Me: "At the hospital they said I need to get her up every 2-3 hours to feed for the first week. Now can I go longer between feedings if she is not hungry and asleep?"
Nurse: "Well, how long do you think she would go?"
Me pretending like I've never let it happen; "Oh 4-5 hours."
Nurse: "Oh yah, that is fine."
Me: "Okay if she is not hungry then I wont wake her up just to feed her unless its been 5 hours."
Nurse: "NO! Never let it go 5 hours! 4 is the maximum."

Now you can imagine what is going through my head considering ten seconds earlier she had told me it was fine, and considering what her nurse friends did to my angel the second night in the nursery at the hospital. Anyway, she failed to answer really any other question we had either. Now this could have happened at any other office, but I just feel like its a sign we should go to the Doctor in Waukee. (Oh, I am so that Mom that I never thought I'd be...)

I'm thankful that Emi has gained some weight. Breastfeeding can be stressful not knowing if your child is getting enough to eat. But Emi is doing great! She was born at 7 - 13. When we left the hospital she weighed 7 - 5. When we weighed her today she weighed 7 - 9. Tommy asked this same nurse when we could start using a bottle. The nurse said "I thought you were breast feeding." Tommy reminded her of the invention called the breast pump in which you could extract breast milk from the mother and feed it to baby via a bottle days later.

I'm also thankful that Emi took a nice crap on this nurse. I'm totally not kidding either. As she picked Emi up to carry her to the scale she let loose. She still had her diaper on loosely so it wasn't quite the mess I would have loved, but it was great to hear the nurse scream "Oh, its runny! Hurry!" Um... no shit.... (no pun intended).

After the doctor we stopped at Grandma's house (because according to Anthony- its Grandma's house and Grandpa just lives there). We ended up staying there until 5pm. It was nice to get out of the house for a few hours. It was also nice to feed her somewhere else than my home to see that we could accomplish that.

I can tell how much our lives are changing now. As Tommy and I realized we needed to pick up a few groceries I quickly ran into HyVee on the way home while Tommy stayed with Emi in the car, grabbed the items that were on our list (which managed to be a cart-full) and made it back out to the car in less than 10 minutes. Normally I would not buy so many groceries at HyVee, but we didn't want Emi to have to wait around for us, and I was worried that she was going to be really hungry again soon.

Lastly, I'm thankful for such a wonderful first week with Emi. Last night after her bath I fed her and she fell asleep on my chest. I fell asleep too. It was experiencing a little piece of heaven...

No comments:

Post a Comment