Tuesday, January 3, 2012

BGT Nursery

I teased you all yesterday but bragging about the arrival of my new baby furniture after weeks months of waiting but then never posted any pictures. I really wanted to wait until I had the room 100% done before I posted any pictures of the nursery. I estimate it about 70% done. Here is still what I want to do to the nursery:

1. Find curtains;
2. Find lamp;
3. Find side table by rocking chair;
4. Hang owl decal on wall;
5. Hand butterfly mirror on other wall;
6. Purchase rug. 

Tommy got home from work around 645pm. I got home around 7pm and this is what I found:


Its nearly 10pm and he is still sleeping. Neither one of us slept well last night, but I am too stressed about all the things I want to get done yet to go to bed at 7pm. However, when I saw Tommy I knew that our amazon.com order was not going to be placed. I knew no curtains were going to be purchased today and that  items 1-6 are at least another week away from being done. And sometimes in this house one week away can easily mean one month away. So I decided to post pictures anyway. 

Here is a picture of the room when the house was purchased in August 2010:

Tommy and I referred to this room as the clown room when we first moved in. Not only did it have this awful wallpaper, the entire top part of the wall was filled with holes. Not tiny nail holes. Huge holes that it appear to have support some sort of jungle gym in the house.

In the Winter 2010, my mom and I painted this room yellow. I knew I always wanted the room to be the nursery because its right next to our bedroom. I also thought that I would either not find out the gender of the baby and need a yellow room or that I would decorate around the yellow walls. 


In December of this year, my mom and I painted the nursery Lavender Champagne. I also purchased brand new carpet so she would have clean carpet to barf on. I know some people were surprised about the new carpet purchase when having a newborn, but there is something about somebody else's stains on your carpet that are so disgusting. Somehow if its my daughter's vomit stain it seems like it will be so much more tolerable. 

Here is what the nursery looks like today:

 I LOVE LOVE LOVE the furniture that we picked out. This converts into a toddler bed and then full size bed, so I hope to get 18 years of use out of it.
 The bedding I found at Pottery Barn (on sale of course!). I am aware of the recommendations against user bumpers in a crib. I am also an attorney and have seen people have DHS investigations on them for when there kids have broken arms and legs when their babys' limbs get stuck between the rails. I decided to keep the bumper.
 I still need to purchase the changing pad which will go next to the green basket on the main shelf. I may find a few more things to place on the shelves later on.
 I was surprised about how big the room still looks even with all the furniture in it. I was worried it would be too cramped in the room which is why I did not purchase a rug earlier. Now I think I would like to find a rug to place between the hutch and crib. I'm not sure that will get done before BGT's arrival.

Note a few things about the photo above: my sister and I  made the blanket that is on the back of the chair. My sister is quite handy with her sewing machine. I always pretend that I am handy but do not have the patience for these projects. Luckily my sister bailed me out of this project. I am so excited about the blanket! The other thing I want you to note is the effort that I made not to have everything be pink and purple. I did manage to purchase two things that are not pink or purple. The boppy pillow on the chair. There is also a basket liner that is green.

Also, we have not found the right curtains yet. Those are two different curtains on those windows. I dont think we are going to go with either of those. They just seem too blah for the room.

We thought we were going to use that lamp in the room but it looks really dirty in that room so we need to find a different lamp. Also, you will note that next to the hutch is the baby's hospital bag, packed and ready to go to the hospital!

Every time I walk past the room I am still shocked to see it as a nursery. Neither Tommy nor myself can walk past the room without stopping in the room, turning on the light and looking around for a few moments before we continue on our path. I think we are both a little shocked that we will be a family of three so soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment